Baby days: 3-6 months

Well, my baby boy is six months. It has taken me a week to gain the courage to write a blog about it because I can’t bring myself to believing he is already HALF A YEAR OLD. Where has time gone? 
Already, in his six months of life, Finn has done some pretty spectacular things. 
He’s traveled to California where he met all of his Wietstock side great Aunts, cousins, second cousins, third cousins, and extended family. He was so loved and awed over while we visited. Nothing makes Zach and I happier than knowing our child is so very loved by both sides of our family. 
He’s been to the little edge of Washington we call Mount Vernon/La Conner and seen John Wayne's boat (SO COOL). 
He’s dug his feet and eaten sand from two different Californian beaches.
He’s tasted the dirt of the coastal redwood forrest. 
He’s been on amazing gondolas and seen the top of Crystal Mountain. 
He’s seen the roaring Snoqualmie Falls. 
He’s been to the magnificent Monterey Aquarium. 
Most importantly, he’s been to like, four different Costco’s. #costcomom 

Since my last blog, he’s gained quite the personality. One that I fear will make him sassy like his mother. He’s found his voice and enjoys screeching in church services and at the most inappropriate times. He still jumps in his exersaucer and fisher price jumper like they’re going to blast off if he jumps hard enough. He sits on his own now, not to be trusted without something soft behind him, and enjoys playing and chewing on anything we put in front of him (including toes and water bottles). We moved him to his own room at four months, for our sanity and his, and it was almost immediately that he slept through the night. No “four month sleep regression” to speak of. Probably because he didn’t actually sleep through the night until four months, or it could be a myth. I’m still up in the air about it. At about 5.5 months, he randomly popped out two teeth. Zach was playing with him and he noticed two little white bumps when Finn was smiling. Also no fussy teething for those two, so maybe that’s a myth too? Just kidding. We’re working on more teeth and it’s been a real Jerry Springer episode. 

The difference between the Finn we have now, and the Finn we had at month three is outrageous. Babies grow and learn so fast, it’s almost hard to keep up and remember all of the fun milestones. At about four months, I realized I had done little to no tummy time with him. The week before his four month appointment I hit the tummy time hard. By his appointment, he was rolling from front to back, so that right there proves you can obsessively hold your child all the time and procrastinate doing things that are deemed “good” for them, and they can still catch up BECAUSE THEY LEARN THINGS FREAKY FAST. I’m attempting to not screw up my child, but I’m also obsessed with his little face, so I am still trying to find a balance that helps him learn and grow appropriately but still lets me obsessively hold and love on him. 

Around four months, I finally stopped breast feeding. I tried so hard to make it work including weird supplements and teas, and nothing made me produce enough (or any on one side, because boobs are weird). It was the hardest decision for me to make because I felt like I wasn’t giving him “the good stuff” which really, “the good stuff” is just making sure he’s well fed and thriving. I did want to breastfeed him for as long as I could, but when you’re not producing enough and you’re stressing yourself out so bad that your hair is falling out, it’s time to re-evaluate. We switched to Kirkland brand formula because #costcomom, and he’s been fine. If he’s anything like his mother, he’ll never get sick anyway, and all I really wanted to do was breast feed him through flu season. He didn’t catch the flu, so whatever Zach and I did worked. Then, I was impatient and wanted to start solids with him. HAH. He showed me by not being interested until recently, and to be honest, he still isn’t super interested. I complained to my sister and she reminded me that “food before one is just for fun”. What a fabulous reminder and she really doesn't know how much that cute little saying saved me from having a mental breakdown. Thanks Laura!

At five months I finally got the kid to roll from back to front. I wrote a cute Instagram post about how we’ve “HIT A MILESTONE” and how it was cooler than the Eiffel Tower opening and then he didn’t do it again for what seemed like EVER. So…lesson learned. Babies do fun things, you get super excited about them, and then they teach you to not be so excited by not doing it again. He now rolls on the regular and actually sleeps on his tummy at night. To all you crazy moms about to jump my bones, don’t worry, we still put him on his back and he rolls himself to his tummy. He sleeps better that way and my pediatrician told me that it's PERFECTLY OK. 

Finn is a sweet, handsome, free-spirited little boy. He enjoys buttons, tags, and little strings. He loves chewing on his shark, and slamming his toys on tables. He’s a people person and really enjoys if you make funny faces and/or noises at him. He rubs his eyeballs to let us know he’s tired and still doesn't really enjoy binkies except for before bedtime. He is our trick baby. He is a dream and so easy-going that we know he’s tricking us into having another child that is nowhere near as easy as he is. We will not be tricked so soon, boy! 


If you made it to the end of my little ramble, enjoy these never before seen photos of our bundle. Just kidding, I'm sure they've been seen. 






Comments

  1. Finn is such a sweet little man. Enjoy these moments, they pass so fast. Don't worry so much about not remembering every little thing....whatever it is, it'll pop into your brain at 2 am some night when your about 60...and you'll enjoy that moment you thought you forgot all over again. You and Zach are great parents. Keep it up (at least until he's a teen, then send him to military academy).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts